About Me

My photo
I am a professional crafts person, working in clay and fibre, not necessarily at the same time. I am a juried member of the New Brunswick Crafts Council, The Nova Scotia Designer Crafts Council and the Cape Breton Centre for Craft and Design.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Hump Day

Day three as artist in residence at String Fever Textiles Gallery. I am surviving, even producing things. True to my personality, I had no clue as to what the @#$# I was going to do all week, until I started doing it.
Turns out I was better off than I thought. I have been knitting, felting, and gossiping like mad! I have made some major progress in the "get-off-my-ass -and-just-do-SOMETHING!" department. All of the insane designs that have flitted through my brain in the last four months are seemingly, sorting themselves out and becoming actual works in progress. Though I am sure that I will not have a great deal of product at weeks end, I am reasonably sure that I will have at least worked out what it is I will be producing during my two weeks at the Casemates. so far the theme seems to be all about the boiled wool purses. A bit of the old needlefelting, and some crazy floral accessaries.
I am sharing my residency with Sarah Maloney, a Halifax based textile artist who is working on some amazing things. Her current work has me slack jawed with awe. I have been a real fan of her work for years, she has been exploring the human form, through textiles. Some of her previous works are- a knitted brain and spinal column, a vessal filled with knitted human hearts, A skeleten, and many embroidered peices based on the human body.
The peice she is working on right now is mind blowing. She is beading a skin. One bead at a time.For the last three years. Wow , and I am so needing a digital camera.
Maybe I need to shop next week.
I definately need to shop next week. Well I must run off and plan day four. Cheers all.
Lizzie

No comments: