About Me

My photo
I am a professional crafts person, working in clay and fibre, not necessarily at the same time. I am a juried member of the New Brunswick Crafts Council, The Nova Scotia Designer Crafts Council and the Cape Breton Centre for Craft and Design.

Sunday, April 10, 2005

new equipment

It is a sunny Sunday here in freddy beach, and I have been totally resentful of all I am obliged to do today. Here I sit at the council office working away while I could be out living the high life with a cute boy and enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. Oh wait, where does one find a cute boy on a sunday afternoon in fredericton??????? sigh, guess it is back to my yarns at home. I spent the morning talking crafts council stuff with consultants and other board members, all the while lamenting my lack of skein winder, it really is hard to talk business on the phone while attempting to make a ball out of a skein of roving and still maintain your dignity/sanity and professionalism. Good thing I was dealing with other crazy knitters while doing so.
I did succeed in the end and then lo and belhold, Barb the knitter on the other end of the phone found a spare winder at her place. Only a twenty five minute drive away, and the damn ball was finished by then.
sigh.
Later today the best friend Kate and her daughter arrived at the council office with ....lo and behold a skein winder. She had been out to her dad's place and stumbled across it among her mom's weaving supplies. It will be a fantastic help to me, and it was great of her to loan it to me. Kate's mom passed away last week after a long and courageous battle with Parkinson's disease. I will think of her often while I make my skeins and package them for sale. I only hope my product will be up to her standards. She was a great lady and did nothing in half measures.
I am so thankful for all of the help my friends are giving me to get my business up and running. Trish my yarn dealer who is taking a gamble on my product.
Jason who God love him is the saint who delivers my equipment,and never asks why I need it or what the hell it is for, never complains about how heavy a kiln and or pottery wheel is, even put it in his brand new SUV and never uttered a word of complaint about the clay bits, hands me beer, and offers to entertain my kids.
Tim the accountant guy who is trying hard to understand craft, and his wife Dale who gave me a dye pot to start me off. Thanks guys
Jackie who is always honest, and helpful in discussions about my work and often adds my two children to her four when I need the time to get things done. Shares the beer with me and talks fiber stuff with lots of enthusiasm and knowledge. She is AWSOME.
Kate MacKay who puts up with all my craziness, makes a damn fine caesar/martini/G&T/.........
and kicks my ass when I need it. loans me equipment, makes me dinner, listens to me rant and rave and even only slightly glazes over when I talk pottery, I know she goes to her happy place and all but she nods appropriately and grunts occasionally, then pours me a drink and says so about that SHAWL we saw, what guage ....... Love you all guys I couldn't do it without you.

Now about that ball of roving from this morning, I have dyed it ocean colours everything from deep cerulean blue to teal turquoise and royal. I am going to go home and knit it into a handbag and then felt and bead it, if it turns out and isn't too difficult it may become my first Kit for market. I have the vision but we shall see if the reality resembles it at all. I will post pictures of the process if I can.
Cheers and happy knitting.
Liz

1 comment:

Liz said...

you know you are always at the top of my waiting list. question is what does jason get out of it?????