About Me

My photo
I am a professional crafts person, working in clay and fibre, not necessarily at the same time. I am a juried member of the New Brunswick Crafts Council, The Nova Scotia Designer Crafts Council and the Cape Breton Centre for Craft and Design.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Scarf a Day, or week, or month...

So My weaver friend Janet at  scarfaday.blogspot.com politely challenged us crazy fibre types to weave a scarf a day... now, to be fair I enjoy a good challenge, but I know my body can't take that much weaving. so, I have joined in at a scarf a week. 
It will be a challenge for me to get that done since I spend my days making pots. But as a further challenge to myself I will attempt to meet this challenge without purchasing any new yarn. It will be the ultimate stash buster, methinks!
The scarf pictured here will be my first, and there is one more on this warp. I will then move on to make warps of four scarf lengths each. That way I only have to warp once a month. Lets see if I can make it happen...

4 comments:

Jackie said...

I followed Janet for a bit and thought that she was....enthuastic..... and optomistic.
But then again, I have been doing this for years and have never been that....enthuastic as to believe that I could possibly produce a scarf a day for any more than for about 3 days!

Liz said...

That my dear is why I think I can only do one a week. cause you know I suffer from the warp pain, and procrastination syndrome. Hurts to warp, and thus I procrastinate...

Peg Cherre said...

Beautiful colors, Liz. What's the fiber? The sett?

Liz said...

Thanks! The Warp is a mix of fibres there is some wool singles, some worsted weight wool,hand dyed silk, 2/8 cotton, hand dyed cotton chenille,that are left over from previous projects and some novelty ladder yarns that I had in small quantities.The weft is a hand dyed silk. The warp is sleyed at about 12 epi. Due to the random nature of the warp it is sleyed somewhat randomely as well. It was an experiment that seems to have worked out well. The scarf is done except for for wet finishing and has a beautiful hand. I will be starting the next scarf on this warp today.