About Me

My photo
I am a professional crafts person, working in clay and fibre, not necessarily at the same time. I am a juried member of the New Brunswick Crafts Council, The Nova Scotia Designer Crafts Council and the Cape Breton Centre for Craft and Design.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Gettin er Done

This past year and a half has been full of change. Moving to Cape Breton, setting up my Pottery, and getting back into the teaching groove has certainly been a life altering set of events. It has been quite an adjustment! I have learned a lot about myself,some of it seemed to be a natural sort of realization and some of it really surprised me.
In the land of natural realizations, I have discovered a love of the country life. Sure, I miss walking down the street and grabbing a coffee with friends at a coffee shop, or going out for beers with the gang. But all in all, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. The quietness, the beauty and the solitude have done marvelous things for my spirit, and my work.This may surprise those who think they know me well. But I always suspected I was a country girl at heart. I love the sound of the chickens in the yard, I love looking above my bed through the skylight and seeing a blanket of stars. I love that I can walk to the end of the driveway and jump in the canoe. Life is good.
The surprising realizations come in that I can't believe how much I love teaching. Sure I always enjoyed giving workshops now and again, but last term I taught three full term courses and LOVED it. It was a bit tiring but all in all it was a great experience.
My introductory weaving class made some fantastic projects, I was really impressed. Two of my students were veteran knitters, some might even say they were HARDCORE!!!!! Two twenty somethings carrying knitting everywhere, they made some really cool stuff (and had stashes that were mouthwatering).
My other two classes were both pottery classes. I have to say, I enjoyed these most of all. I have more confidence with clay, more of a natural communication with it and I think this translates well into teaching. I am looking forward to the start of term tomorrow. I'll be dusting off my teaching hat and delving in to the pottery Studio at the Cape Breton Centre for Craft and Design at the crack of noon.
Unfortunately I have given up my weaving class. I was stretched a little thin last term, and it was the one thing to many on my plate. I am hoping however to get some weaving done at the centre this term. they have eight harnesses calling my name.....
ttfn Lizzie

2 comments:

RedTwigBrownTwig said...

Love your pottery! Sent a couple of your dishes off at Christmas for gifts and they were a big hit. Enjoy the winter classes.
Shari

Liz said...

thanks Shari, I have a great group of students I think it'll be a good term